Since its establishment in 1913, the New York Coal Trade has served as a forum for key industry professional involved in the commerce of coal. The genesis of our association is described in the minutes of the first Board of Governors meeting, held on December 17th, 1913:
"Through the efforts of the members of the firm of Watkin's Coal Company, and the courtesy of Mr. F.A. Potts, an invitation was extended to golf playing members of the New York coal trade to participate in a golf tournament at Lakewood Country Club, Lakewood, New Jersey October 17th and 18th, 1913.
"The tournament was so successful and such a spirit of good fellowship developed, that it was decided by those present to form a permanent association. A committee on By-Laws was appointed. It was suggested that after the By-Laws had been written, a meeting be held in December to formalize the new Association."